Sunday 8 November 2015

Real mummy life



Idealistic pre-mummy + Frantic actual mummy = Real mummy life

Things I thought I would do on maternity leave..

  • be very tired
  • stare lovingly at the baby for hours
  • sleep when the baby slept
  • sleep with the baby next to me
  • enjoy smiles and giggles from the baby
  • sunbathe while the baby slept
  • go out for coffees and lunches
  • have date nights while the baby's with a babysitter

Things I actually did on my maternity leave...

  • Realised why sleep deprivation is used as a tool of torture
  • stared at the baby with a growing sense of confusion
  • discovered that some babies grunt loudly when sleeping (apparently quite normal -who knew?!?)
  • realised that grunting makes it impossible to sleep next to the baby
  • found out that babies don't smile or giggle for bloody ages.. they just poop, eat and cry
  • found out that instead of sunbathing, coffees and lunches I would be constantly feeding, changing, washing and sleeping
  • As for date nights... ha, my husband was lucky if he found me dressed in something other than a fluffy dressing gown covered in baby sick & smelling of poop - I certainly wasn't bringing sexy back  

Things I thought I would do with a toddler...

  • finally leave the toddler with a friend so my husband and I could have a date night
  • teach my toddler lots of new things
  • get stupidly excited when my toddler learned something new
  • dance around the living room to cheesy music
  • jump in lots of puddles
  • sing songs
  • run and run until we could run no more
  • kiss my toddler lots
  • cuddle my toddler a bit too much
  • giggle until our tummies hurt

Things I actually do with my toddler...

  • all of the above
I hope my lists made you smile! 

Below is a pic of my little man joining in with some dancing at Kew Gardens - you can't see it but he's smiling from ear to ear. 




Having a baby is really hard work for all new parents. This especially true for parents who experience PND or PTSD. There is support if you are struggling, please seek help through your GP you can be referred through the NHS or through private healthcare.

It might take a while to get there but you can recover... you are great parents fighting to emerge from a grey cloud. Keep on going ... it's worth the fight. 





Mums' Days

I am taking part in www.newmummyblog.com #thebabyformula

”New
Baby Brain Memoirs

12 comments:

  1. I definetly agree with your lists, they made me laugh, I suffer from depression and anxiety it's not very nice to live with but I'm trying to help myself. I have a 7 year old and an 8 month old who is teething really bad so life is hard right now. I can't wait until the toddler years x #TheBabyFormula Pauline x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for reading - Ooh that teething stage :( little mans getting his last 4. Sending you good vibes

      Delete
  2. I love this, so so true, my perception of life with a baby and maternity leave was so different to the reality. I've loved it all so far! I definitely love that you do everything with your toddler - as much as baby growing up scares me, it sounds so fun.

    Thank you for linking up to #TheBabyFormula x

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE your little man's vest in the first pic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! His uncle bought him that .. It's a boy thing

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My ideas of what maternity would be like are so different to reality and becoming a parent is more difficult than I ever anticipated. It's the hardest job in the world, but I also think it's the most rewarding. I can relate to your lists so much, great post #thebabyform

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for reading - it's so hard but so worth it & I've found it gets easier with time xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can totally relate! Great minds :) #babybrainmonday

    ReplyDelete
  8. O yeah, the gap between our expectations for maternity leave and what actually happens. So lovely that your expectations for the toddler stage has been realised. Motherhood is a long hard road, but also one filled with so much laughter and joy. Most of us, I assume, won't change it for the world. :-) #CommentLuv

    ReplyDelete