Monday 5 October 2015

My only child - an open letter to my friend



An open letter to my friend

Today I told you that we've decided to stick at one child and that we are happy as a three and you replied: 

'Of course you will have another one! You can't have just one child, he will have no-one to play with.'

You do not know the anguish such words cause me. 

You are not there when tears spring to my eyes because I am scared my decision is a selfish one. You are not sitting with me as I google over and over 'should I have a second child?'. You don't have to sit with me reading threads of happy only children, just so I can find some reassurance. 

What shocks me is that you were there after I had my son. You saw the grey cloud, the emptiness in my eyes, the lost months, the broken years. You saw me struggling to contain my tears and anxieties, you watched me bend, break and fight. 



I still hold such sadness in my heart because I was not really with my son when he was born, my mind was far away from him and I could not find my way back. It was a terrifying time for me, my husband and my whole family. 

Our  little boy was brought into the world because we longed for him and that thought kept me going. I did fight my way back from that darkness and my husband was with me every step of the way, we fought together until I felt like myself again. My love for my son grew so strong and now we are the strongest family I know.

My son is a happy, giggly boy, his Mum is a confident, feisty lady, his Dad is a chilled out, lovely man. We are not willing to compromise that happiness, and though that decision hurts me, it is the only way to protect our happy family of three. 

So my friend, please know this decision was not taken lightly. You have not lived my story so you will have a different chapter, but please respect mine. 

(Families come in all shapes and sizes - please add a comment or tweet me, I love to hear from you.)

Twitter @newmumkaboom


2 comments:

  1. Only you can decide how many children you should have. Your friend was trying to be cheerful. If they were there during the dark times they will be there for you now. That's what friends do. I think lots of only children are very happy. Do what is right for your family. Just never say never, give yourself a choice.
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for your reply & thanks for reading! I understand your point , I really do however - feel that if I said I physically can't have another people would simply understand but when I say I mentally am not able to do it again people think I will get over it. I'm not so sure I will xx

      Delete