Monday 2 November 2015

Support


In triage I was told I was doing great, 
That the baby’s now coming and it’s all down to fate,
I entrusted myself to that clinical place, 
I trusted the professionals to keep me safe,  

The doula told me that I could breath through the pain, 
That I didn’t need to feel anguish or shame, 
That my baby was coming in this lovely room,
With candles and music and it would happen so soon,

But our perfect birth was not meant to be, 
The midwives rushed in just to tell me, 
The decision to put you here was all wrong, 
The baby’s in danger you’re being moved along,

The words you spoke ripped through my calm,
They caused me to feel unsafe and alarmed,
The next contraction hit like a wave,
A pain so harsh it ripped me away, 

After that time went by in a blur, 
You told us how unlucky we were, 
To be there on the busiest day, 
With no-one available to relieve my pain,

I entrusted myself to that clinical place, 
I trusted the professionals to keep me safe,  
But there weren’t enough staff to care for us, 
And now I will tell you what that does, 

It causes women to suffer in pain, 
It makes them scared to do it again, 
It sends their mind to a dark place, 
It wipes the smile off of their face, 

It triggers nightmares, panic and tears,
It fills women full of anguish and fears, 
It takes women who should be great Mums,
And makes them feel like terrible ones, 

This is too high a price to pay, 
For any woman on any day,
Ensuring a woman has a supported birth,
Now can you tell me what that’s worth?


No comments:

Post a Comment